Overwintering Dianthus

joyfulsnowflake(Zone 4)October 25, 2006

I bought some Dianthus 'Parfait Strawberry' from Linder's a few years back. They were marked as annuals. I put them in a planter and every year I brought the planter into the garage around this time of the year. To my surprise, they all came back the next spring. It has been that way for several years now.

This year I have a garden, so I planted them in the front of my flower bed. They bloomed all summer, all the way through fall, even today, really pretty. When they were in the planter, they only bloomed during spring.

Now my question is: Have anyone overwintered this variety of Dianthus without bring them inside? Linder's website said they are not hardy to Minnesota winter. Besides transplanting them into a pot and put in the garage, can they be stored bareroot?

I also hard Dianthus supposed to be pretty hardy. What are some of the hardy varieties that you overwintered without protection? I'd like to plant those next year.

Ying

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Hi Ying, I have a couple that I've had for several years, just now I can't remember the varieties. Will have to check the tags later and get back to you. ( I'm pretty sure one is Fringed Lovliness or maybe Rainbow Fringed Lovliness.) I started it from seed many years ago which I obtained from Thompson & Morgan.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Hi Ying, the one variety is called Rainbow Lovliness. I've had it for years, I don't give it any special care. However that one blooms spring, occasionally I'll get very light rebloom. I still have to check the variety on the other one I mentioned. I love that one as it blooms all summer as long as I deadhead it. The heaviest bloom is in spring, but I still get pretty good bloom the rest of the summer. I'll try to check that one in the next couple of days.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™