What plants re-bloom if you cut them back?

drat55(z6 MO)July 26, 2005

I "inherited" a LARGE perennial garden when we moved to this house and am still learning what to do with everything.

I wondered what plants respond well if you cut them back to encourage re-blooming. For example, right now my Shasta Daisies, Gaillardia and Purple Coneflowers are mostly done blooming. If I cut them back (how much?) will they rebloom?

Also have many other plants (hostas, peonies, astilbe, daylilies, butterfly bush, hibiscus, liatris...), would love to start a list of what plants CAN successfully be cut back to re-bloom that same season.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Drat, dead-heading flowers will beget them to rebloom..as soon as flowers start fading, remove..
Your butterfly bush should bloom until Aug/Sept..Hardy Hibiscus are late bloomers, but should remain until Sept..depending on your climate. W/good care, hibs bloom continuously..Toni

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 6:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondwelr(z5 WI)

I cut back many plants simply to keep them looking somewhat tidy. Actually, most do NOT re-bloom for me. However, Salvia, Speedwell, Veronica, some daisies, some sedums...do.
And, all minty-type flowers like monarda, sage, catmint.
Some geraniums also have rebloomed after a clip to half height. And some delphiniums will send out smaller side shoots that bloom after the main big bloom is cut. (much like a broccoli) Cut back and take notes as to what comes back for you. Lucky you to have a ready-made garden.
Pondy

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
What killed my trees?
My young cherry tree suddenly died a few days ago....
fsheik1
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
what is this??
This growing in my flower bed. I think it may be some...
snowburd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™