Canna Seed?

juniebug-2006October 27, 2006

Hi Everyone!

This afternoon I finally dug up my canna bulbs. One of the stalks had the remnants of a flower, and in the dried up flowerhead, I found two dark berries about the size of peas. Are these seeds? Can I grow a canna from these? I'm assuming that I should keep the seeds and plant them next spring? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Juniebug

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Oh My Gosh!!
I thought I responded to this a while ago!!
YES- Canna's can grow from seed! They are one of my favorites to start as they come up strong- and as long as there is warmth and light- they continue on growing strong!
You must scarify the seed- I use a dremmel tool or a sharp file- and cut a line into the shell till I see white- no deeper!! And then soak them a day or two and plant in soil- not seed starting mix- and give bottom heat till they sprout- then add light with bototm heat. I start mine around 8-10 weeks before the last frost date for my zone.
They are fun to start indoors- I do hope you will enjoy them as well!
Julie

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 5:43PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Ideally, you would leave the seeds in the pod until it is dry and they start popping out.

I scarify my canna seeds by putting them in a food processor with a cup of water and running it for about a minute or two. These buggers are hard.

I also put them in water for a day or two and sometimes they start sprouting right in the cup of water.

I love using them in a group planting, in a container on the deck, for a really tropical look.

-Sprout

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 11:10AM
gw:juniebug-2006

Thanks very much for the pointers! I'm not very experienced with Canna's - last summer was the first time I planted them with any success. Come next March I'm going to give my precious two seeds a couple of good nicks and see what I can grow!

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 8:10PM
elvis

Just my 2 cents--

For years I dug up the rhizomes and overwintered them then planted outside in spring. They did well, but never had time to bloom. Then someone on one of the Forums suggested growing them as houseplants, and I now do. They're in large pots--I put them out on the deck in partial sun for the summer and they bloom, get pollinated by the hummers, who adore them, and I bring them into my sunroom for the winter. I collect the seeds and push them into the ground in the planters, and they product new plants. I imagine the nicking and soaking would speed this up, but I'm in no hurry; got all winter, LOL. Anyone else try growing cannas as houseplants?

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Sponsored Products
Tropical Garden 17-Bulb Set
$19.99 | zulily
Black Knight Canna Root - Set of Five
$15.99 | zulily
Cosmic Canna Specialty Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS008-C2232GG
$78.99 | Hayneedle
30 in. Rooster with Metal Feathers - 53275
$99.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™