Dog Friendly Shrubs (Zone Four)

lewdog(4)July 7, 2007

I am the proud owner of three Airedale-Lab mixes (two males and one female). I also am the proud owner of a potentially beautiful backyard in Western Wisconsin (zone 4). We have done some pet friendly landscaping where we have incorporated a blue stone patio and wall, many boulders, a couple of birdbaths and tons of mulch.

As many of you know, itÂs incredibly challenging to have a esthetically pleasing yard when sharing it with our large canine friends.

I was hoping someone out there could help a fellow passionate gardener and share their knowledge of plants (particularly shrubs) that can tolerate large dogÂs urine. IÂm getting pretty frustrated when I have to dispose of once beautiful shrubs (e.g. mugho pines, upright yews, weigelas and spireas) only to be subjected to my dogs!

We have had good success with honeysuckle bushes and (funny enough) dogwoods. And, minimal success with winterberries, ninebarks, rhododendrons and barberries.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whynotmi(5/6)

I don't have suggestions for plants but diluting the urine by hosing down the plant/shrub as soon as the dog has completed its business is one of the fastest and easiest solutions to plants getting "burned". So, if you are there when you let your dogs out to do their business and can wash down the plants they should recover. If that's not possible you might try placing some items in your garden that they might find more attractive ie driftwood sculpture, upright garden decorations like pylons, etc.

There was a big thread about dog urine and lawn care that I've attached for you.

Good Luck. btw, an airedale/lab mix sounds wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog urine thread

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
does Southern IL belong here
Please Help me find a forum!
organic_gardenhag
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
Flowering Orchid
I have a house plant that my mother had started and...
junefarmgirl
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
WANTED: Chicago Area Traders?
Anyone in the Chicago Area interested in doing a spring...
vhinkes
Sponsored Products
Campania International Longmeadow Bird Bath Fountain - FT-52-NA
$759.99 | Hayneedle
36" Arezzo Series Stainless Steel Island Range Hood - 900 CFM
Signature Hardware
Rustic Reclaimed California Nightstand
$499.99 | Dot & Bo
Capricorn Zodiac Personalized Canvas
$34.99 | zulily
Lodge Chest for TV - LHR101CHEST-TV
$900.00 | Hayneedle