New gardner with questions about annuals over winter...

quilt_mommy(5/6 Northeast Ohio)July 30, 2006

Hi there, I hope that I've come to the appropriate place to ask my questions, if not, I apologize in advance. This forum is huge!

I am a 25 year old Stay at Home Mom to two young children, and have just discovered gardening! I purchased on a whim some plants that are most likely very common and easy to you very knowledgable and experienced gardners, but I'm really not sure what to do with them over winter! LOL*

I picked up a boxwood & celosia late this summer and potted them (we currently rent and I have been hesitant to put too much money into permanent landscaping) and I'm wondering if I should bring them both in for the winter? The boxwood being a shrub I imagine would be fine outdoors though I'm curious if being potted will effect its hardiness? And the celosia, do they do well indoors? Does anyone have any special suggestions for success in keeping it indoors? Neither were very expensive, but I would enjoy the learning experience, and being on a budget these days I'd like to keep as much as I can for as long as I can!

Thank you, and I appreciate any advice that can be given! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fennelgrl(Z6a OH)

I believe the general rule with container plants is that you should consider conditions in an exposed container to be 2 zones colder than in the ground. Unless boxwood is hardy to zone 4, you should bury it in the ground (pot and all) for the winter or find some other way to protect it.

I don't have any experience with celosia. I assume it is a tropical plant but I don't know if it normally lives beyond 1 season. If not, there isn't much point to bringing it in!

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 1:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinamcg(Z5b Kansas City)

Being an annual, the celosia will complete its lifecycle in one season, so don't even try to keep that one going.

If you want to keep the boxwood outside this winter, set the container into a larger container (not necessarily an expensive plant pot), and stuff insulation in the gap between the two pots. Then set the whole thing in a protected spot, preferably on the south side of the house, protected from any wind.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
Year round outdoor containers for Chicago
I would like to know what plants, either flowers or...
rbpchicago
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
ID needed
These plants are growing wild in the alley behind my...
dellis326 (Danny)
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™