what is this native (?)/ is it native???

connplantmanApril 22, 2010

hi i saw this plant today on a nature walk through the woods (happy earth day everyone!!) and i have no clue what it is. this is in simsbury, connecticut. i was thinking it was a magnolia of some kind or a rhodo? It doesn't look like a rhodo up close and it resembles the native cucumber magnolia but the leaves are too glossy and too big. could it be an escaped japanese magnolia? does anyone know what it is? is it native here or is it an INVADER?

pics (cell phone quality sorry lol):

thanks for your help guys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Looks like a young Magnolia grandiflora, a native plant (although perhaps not native to your area). Unlike it's cousin the cucumber magnolia, this one is evergreen.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 10:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
connplantman

i thought that the southern magnolia only grew in zone 7 and warmer? how in the heck did it end up on the zone 5/6 boundary up north?!?!? looking at some pictures online, i do think that id of this thing being magnolia grandiflora is correct. can we blame canadian geese for "planting" it? im happy to see it's at least native to the eastern US though. my goodness maybe there is something to global warming! i will have to continue to monitor this plant and see if it survives through our harsh winters. i am really shocked but again after looking through photos online i think it has to be southern magnolia. WOW

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™