does anyone know what plant this is?

dswnkyApril 7, 2013

Hey folks thank you for reading. I am trying to get my garden started in western Kentucky this Spring, unfortunately, the plant in this picture has pretty much taken over the yard. We had a very wet winter, don't recall seeing this one, it looks like a ground cover, it is purple. Is this considered an invasive weed, or is it desirable? Any advice or observations would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

Lamium purpureum.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:32PM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

It is not a native plant.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:29PM
dswnky

wow. any advice?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 2:39AM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

I would have thought that someone on this forum would have been more forthcoming in offering help. I am a newbie gardener, so maybe if I offer advice someone will jump in and correct me.

Personally I would never use weed-killer. Weed killer is responsible for the deformities and deaths of many frogs across the country.

So I think getting to it and pulling it (especially before it goes to seed) is your best option. From what I read on other garden forums, they are easy to pull.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:08AM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

We been dealing with the related henbit since stopping our preemergent use a few years back. They go away in the heat of summer, but can produce thousands of seeds per plant so will be back unless you break the seed cycle. Keep them cut or pulled before they go to flower. Where they are already in bloom, catch and bag the cuttings if you have a catcher on your mower. I'd do this over resorting to a broadleaf weed killer, especially at this time of year. Improving the overall health of the lawn or ground cover in the infested areas will also help a lot.

Fall is the next opportunity to consider applying a preemergent to get it back where the manual methods (cutting/pulling) can keep it under control.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 1:06PM
aussielover_oh

you could try strong vinegar or fire to burn it out (carefully). I've even see boiling water suggested.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:50PM
esh_ga

It's pretty easy to just pull out and good exercise too. ;) Also the most inexpensive option if you're frugal like me.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™