do I dare plant roses now?

mnzinnia(4)October 11, 2007

I have a couple of ramblin red roses that came bare root this spring and got "temporarily" stuck in a partly shady spot in my garden. They have grown some and had a few blooms. I have someone who can help me prep their intended permanent spot this week (south facing, aginst a wood fence). Should I do it? I also bought a RR in a container this week.

If I plant them now, what do you suggest for winter protection? My only MN rose experience was moving an Iceberg rose from my southern Iowa garden and sticking it in the ground Nov 5 when we took possession of our MN home. It lived and bloomed the next year but was in a fairly protected spot.

I'm hoping to get these to grow up some lattice to improve the looks of the fence. I plan to put Walkers Low Nepeta at their feet.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

If they were mine, I'd leave them in the spot where they spent the summer and move them in the spring. But... I don't really have any knowledge about whether they should be moved now or not. Just my own inclination. They should be beautiful once they get established. I'm envious :-)

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 11:10PM
heleninramsey

If they were in containers I would plant them, but as they are stable, even if it is not the best spot, I would leave them till spring. No sense in causing them undo stress, when you can move them in the spring. Ramblin Red is a hardy rose and they say you should not need to protect them, but if they were mine I would provide some protection once some frost has settled into the ground. Marsh hay, straw or leaves will protect them; which will be handy if we start the winter with lots of cold and little to or snow. After a summer in the right environment (more sun, in their new spot) you shouldn't have to be as cautious. I am not an expert, I do have about 20 hardy roses, it is more difficult in these odd winters where snow cover is not a given. Good Luck! Helen.

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 11:33PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

I think it's getting rather late and I would not plant it. I think what I would do instead, if the plant is potted I would dig in the entire pot and all. That way you are not disturbing the root system and sending the plant into shock especially when the temperatures are getting rather frigid. I would be sure to mulch it real well as the others suggested.

Good luck!!!
Tj

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 9:43PM
mnzinnia(4)

I think you all are right! Thanks for the input. I'll just focus on getting the bed ready for next year.

Bookmark   October 13, 2007 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Sponsored Products
Blue Star Group Dining Furniture TERRACE MATES Caleo Standard 5-Piece Patio
Home Depot
Dane Black 52-Inch x 84-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$23.95 | Bellacor
Citrus Pro Tool
$5.99 | zulily
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S3241/5 Wall Mount Bathroom Faucet - S3241/5CR
$438.92 | Hayneedle
DENY Designs Julia Da Rocha Circo Doodles Outdoor Throw Pillow - 12981-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle