Moving a flower bed

gmonny(Chicago, IL)August 11, 2005

I'm moving my flower bed to another area in my yard. I've got several perennials that I would like to save. Unfortunately, at this time, I can't move them because my husband has to finish the deck, and the flower bed will be in front of the newly built deck. What would be the best way to 'save' my perennials? Can I plant them in a flower pot and then move them back into the ground? Considering that they've propogated very well (right into my neighbor's yard), I was hoping that this would be the way to go. However, some of the perennials have gotten quite large, and I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is for removing plants from the ground into a pot and then back into the ground after a few weeks. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

Can you wait until the deck is done. I too am planning on moving some things but really want to wait until the hot weather subsides. If that is not possibble, I have had luck digging up large clumps and keeping them in plasic garbage bags or paper bags or even newspaper. Keep them well watered and in shade. You don't have to disturb their roots so much this way

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Flowering Orchid
I have a house plant that my mother had started and...
junefarmgirl
What killed my trees?
My young cherry tree suddenly died a few days ago....
fsheik1
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™