Pipsissewa

moconApril 5, 2011

I'm just wondering, does anyone else on this forum have any information on growing Srriped Pipsissewa (Chimaphila maculata) from seed ? Several times, in the spring, I've gathered the little seed-pods and sowed the very tiny, dust-like seed (at least, I think it's the seed) but I've never had any germination, even though I've kept the container outside for a year, and it's been through several seasons of freezing and thawing. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

Cullina writes that he has never been successful with these seeds, but he has been successful with cuttings. I have not tried this as they are plentiful around here. Can you get some to try? Check Cullina for more details.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

There is a chapter on pipsissewa in Planting the Future: Saving Our Medicinal Herbs ed. by Rosemary Gladstar & Pamela Hirsch. The chapter on pipsissewa is written by Stephen Harrod Buhner. The first sentence in the Propagation and Cultivation section for pipsissewa is: "Though the plants produce seeds it is nearly impossible to propagate from them." If a local library has a copy of the book, you may wish to read the rest of the chapter on this plant.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Agalinis auriculata and other imperiled species for your garden
Has any of you tried to introduce a locally imperiled/endangered...
WoodsTea 6a MO
Cherokee Rose
Does anyone know if the hips from these are edible,...
rosebush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™