Any success with blooming gingers this far north?

aachenelf z5 MplsAugust 6, 2005

I was going to post this on the ginger forum, but would really like to hear from any Midwest people. This is my second year with a few gingers. They grow well, but I have my doubts if any flowers are going to happen.

Has anyone bloomed these up north? Which ones seem to work best for you?

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northeastwisc(4)

I grow the Canadian Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense) and it flowers every year in Zone 4.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Ginger

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 11:25PM
birdsnblooms

Kevin..another place you can locate wild ginger is www.worldplants.com The site the above poster gave looks good, but I don't want to dwell there caues I KNOW what'll happen..lol

Growing tropical gingers isn't difficult..I've a variegated that's about 3' tall..had it since 94. But the variegated are grown primarily for leaf coloring..I've also a small container of various gingers that are still young, too young for flowering.
The thing is, in winter, they need humidity. Mine sit a few feet from south and west windows, and get some artifial lighting at night. I've a small gh and which is where my variegaed resides in winter.
I've once posted this question on Tropical plants, and was told, because we don't get as much light as say, Fl, it'd be difficult for gingers to bloom, but I go to Garfield Pk, and Oak Pk conservatories, both of which have gingers. I do not think they receive extra lighting at night, yet gingers bloom..I think it's more of a humidity issue than light. I keep a humidifer running, and 2 indoor fountains, one adjacent to gingers. I also keep atop pebbles and water, that creates a humid atmosphere. Toni

Bookmark   August 7, 2005 at 6:05PM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

I love my wild ginger and those little flowers hiding underneath. Is this the ginger you are talking about. If so, it grows great in my neck of the woods.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 10:19AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I was talking about the tropical gingers. I have tons of the wild stuff and do love those flowers.

My problem with the tropical gingers is that I can not keep them growing in the winter. I simply do not have the space. I've heard you can treat them like cannas which I have been doing. I store them dormant over winter and then start them up again in the spring. Maybe our growing season is too short and that's why I never see flowers.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 11:51AM
birdsnblooms

Kevin, I grow tropical gingers, but do store them in a dark place overwinter..
The largest, a variegated type, is kept in a small gh..the others live in the house but are still young. I keep them nearest sw windows, under a shelf w/some artifial lighting at night..In spring, they go outdoors, in bright light..I withhold fertilizer in winter, then come spring they get their first dose, until Sept..they get fed w/an all purpose food, or sometimes a ginger food I get at StokesTropicals, once a month.
Yes, you can grow gingers, but can't say about flowering..I was once told in the Tropical Forum it's almost impossible to get tropical gingers to flower because we don't get the light ppl do in Fl, etc. But I'm optimistic..lol..Don't give up..Do u know which types u have? Toni

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 2:44PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Toni

I have:
Zingiber zerumbet
Hedychium coronarium
Hedychium coronarium 'Luna Moth'
Hedychium gardnerianum

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 3:57PM
birdsnblooms

Aae, I'd keep in brightest light possible, and during winter, if possible, set under artificial lighting..You don't need gro lights, any bulbs will do. Toni

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™