Age old Columbine seed

sapphireirisApril 29, 2010

I am posting to see if anyone is familiar with Columbine seed viability past one year- 2 years since collection. I collected Columbine seeds and saved them in an envelope, they were forgotten along with moving from apartment living to our permanent home. My husband and I found them in a special keepsake box from a few years ago. I am pretty sure they are over 2 years old.

My thought was giving them a chance and broadcasting them onto bare sandy soil in early May and seeing what happens. I believe it's still better to give them a chance now than never.

Also if this fails, would a fall sowing of fresh seed directly into the sandy soil bed, or pampering them inside over winter work better for a winter that is known to hit -15?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ramazz(8a VA)

According to this website, columbine (aquilegia)seeds are viable for about 2 years. I actually think I have planted some that were older than that and had minimal germination. I usually wintersow mine (in containers rather than direct sowing) and have excellent results.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Longevity of seeds in ideal storage

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 11:46AM
terrene(5b MA)

I've wintersown Aquilegia canadensis, A. chrysantha, and A. caerulea, all native Columbines, using fresh seed and get lots of seedlings. I've got lots of little A. caerulea sprouts this Spring. Columbine can be sporadic to germinate sometimes. It reseeds a bit in the garden and I discover little seedlings here and there.

Longevity of the seed depends partly on how the they are stored. I store mine in a drawer in the fridge and throw dessicants in the seed bags and the drawer. I've had excellent germination on some old seeds, much older than listed on the website above. I've germinated tomatoes, basil, parsley, savory, zinnias, sunflowers, and other seeds that were more than 10 years old.

Not sure how yours will germinate, but it's worth a try if you're curious.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 9:17PM
Daisy1212

"According to this website, columbine (aquilegia)seeds are viable for about 2 years. I actually think I have planted some that were older than that and had minimal germination. I usually wintersow mine (in containers rather than direct sowing) and have excellent results. "

Very intresting information! I didnt know that! Thanks:)

Here is a link that might be useful: pranie dywanów wrocÅaw

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 6:13AM
More Discussions
A couple beautiful natives
Any idea of what these are? I think the star is a...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
native plant sales for MD
First, a big thank-you to everyone who responded to...
charmed
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Sponsored Products
PLC Lighting Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Sconce wit
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Wyndham Ivory/Multi 3 ft. x 5
Home Depot
Maritime Collection 10" High Hanging Outdoor Light
Lamps Plus
Maxim Dover DC 17" High Bronze Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Lamps Plus
'Gentlemen' Bathroom Sign
$12.99 | zulily
Olde Bronze Chandelier 5-Light
PLFixtures
Eastern Jungle Gym Horse Glider Swing Seat - CHG