native plant sales for MD

charmedApril 6, 2006

First, a big thank-you to everyone who responded to my question regarding the Norway Maple -- I feel much happier about removing it (or possibly girdling and creating a snag) after reading your comments. I'm posting again to see whether any of you know about any native plant sales happening in my area. I'm in Maryland, and would be willing to travel anywhere in state, and perhaps into PA, VA, or WV. I recall one here in MD that I couldn't get to last year, somewhere near the Bay bridge, but I forget the name of the town as well as the park where the sale was held. I'm interested in picking up a few native shrubs and wildflowers for my small urban backyard. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charmed

I thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone else is interested -- a neighbor emailed me the following link to the Audobon Society of Central MD's native plant sale, to take place April 29th.

Here is a link that might be useful: Audobn Society Native Plant Sale

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 2:22PM
sam_md

Irvine Nature Center started selling trees & shrubs April 1.
The sale runs through May 20. They are located in Baltimore County.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irvi ne Nature Center

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 8:38PM
hld6(z7 MD)

FYI for next year, The National Arboretum holds a native plant sale at the end of March every year in conjuction with their Lahr Symposium.

One of the vendors was Doyle Farm nursery. They are located in Pennsylvannia just over the Maryland border, above Jarretsville. Their website lists native plant sales in the area they will be attending. (It's on their "tours and open house" link, http://www.doylefarm.com/events.html) One sale is in Fairfax VA, Saturday April 29. Others are being held at Ladew Topiary Gardens, The Baltimore Herb Festiva, etc.,

While they sell by mailorder its nice to see the plants you're buying. The plants I bought from them at The Arboretum, White Turtlehead (Chelone Glabra) and Nodding Ladies Tresses (Spiranthes Cernua) are growing really well.

If you find any other sales in the Maryland area please post them, I'd love to know about them. :)
-Helen

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 10:12PM
sam_md

Saturday, March 26th is the 25th year that the Lahr Symposium will be held. This year it will be at the BELTSVILLE RESEARCH CTR LOCATION due to construction at the Nat'l Arboretum.
By now the seminar part is probably full however the plant sales are free and open to the public. Here you find the things that you never find at the big boxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lahr Symposium

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 8:42PM
sam_md

Saturday March 23 the National Arboretum will hold its 27th Annual Lahr Symposium & Native Plant Sale. Just like in the past, there will be great plants for sale direct from the growers who propagated and grew them. Sale is seperate from the presentations and is open to the public.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lahr Symposium

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 7:13PM
jchandler2730(z7 MD)

Try the Adkins Arboretum on the Eastern Shore

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™