companions for Spigelia marilandica

kcbarbara(z5KS)April 6, 2008

I'm planning to start a new shady bed up close to my house and am very keen to use Spigelia marilandica. I planned to make it the back of the bed but after realizing that it's more bushy than it is tall, I'm thinking it would work better as the middle. So, what to put behind it? The bed faces NW and isn't deep shade - it gets a couple hours of late afternoon / early evening sun, depending on the season.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

How about American beauty berry/callicarpa americana, sweet shrub/calycanthus floridus, or star bush/illicium floridanum? These are all woodland shrubs that naturally grow in the same places as spigelia marilandica.
Sherry

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 8:26PM
kcbarbara(z5KS)

Thank you, missherry. I checked out your suggestions and at least two of them are not hearty in my zone. The other consideration (which I should have mentioned) is that there is a redbud tree in the vicinity of the bed and I need a backdrop shrub that doesn't get too tall. I checked out the listings on www.grownative.org, which is such a nice resource for my zone, but haven't found that perfect fit. Guess I'll keep looking.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 10:04AM
kcbarbara(z5KS)

Well, I'm vacillating now between physocarpus opulifolius/common ninebark and clethra alnifolia. The ninebark is native, the clethra is not but judging by a few pics of full gown specimens, the ninebark might be too big. Hmmmmm....

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™