Crape Myrtles in South Bend IN?

claremarieAugust 20, 2007

I'm moving from northern Virginia to South Bend IN next summer. I'm planning to bring some cuttings from my VA garden to plant in our new home, and wondering whether Crape Myrtles will grow in South Bend? Around here, they grow like weeds -- I've succesfully transplanted one volunteer, and would like to bring another -- but don't recall seeing any Crape Myrtles during visits to South Bend. We are in growing zone 7 here, if that helps. Thanks for any insights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anya_101(z5b central,IL)

I have never heard of anyone getting one to grow in zone 5, so probably not a good chance of it happening. I have tried several times (with winter protection) and still had no luck here in central Illinois. : (
In South Bend, you will be even farther north than I am.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 10:21PM
iowapalmz5(Zone 5)

I lived in Chesterton (near Valparaiso) a couple years ago and think that you should give it a shot. I suppose that it would depend on the variety of the Crape though. I live in Bettendorf Iowa and have been successful the last two years in getting my Southern Magnolias to survive. 2 Mag. Granifloras and one brackens brown beauty. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 11:29PM
denninmi(8a)

I planted 3 crepe myrtles in S.E. Michigan 4 or 5 years ago -- 'Hopi', 'Zuni', and 'Apache'. They have survived, but die back to the roots every winter even with heavy mulch. One of them ALMOST bloomed a few years ago -- the buds started to open in early October and froze. The leaves are pretty, but I've given up on flowers.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
M V
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Need evergreen suggestions for planting bed
I really like the design of this evergreen bed. Does...
mememare
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™