growing laveadar & tarragon

rober49(5 St Louis)August 21, 2013

2 plants i have a hard time growing are lavendar & tarragon. i'm in the st louis mo area & believe that i'm in zone 5. anyone have any suggestion on varieties & how to cultivate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

Tarragon got to be invasive and I had to dig it out (twice). That was one of those dig and hole and plop it in. Nothing fancy! No feeding, no amending. It was between sage and chives and overran both of them. As it turned out we didn't use that much tarragon anyway. Don't know why you might have a problem.

Lavender had been planted in two spots. One was with the chives, tarragon, sage and mint (don't ever plant mint, smells good but goes everywhere). That did ok. Other lavender was next to the house and ended up not getting enough sun due to the growing apple tree.

All got moved this spring to one newly cultivated spot and they are doing great.

Are your plants getting at least 6 hours of sun? More is better, like 7 am - 7 pm.

We are in east central Illinois.

Jim

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Lavender does well in St Louis. Needs fully blazing south sun all day to be at its best. Do not plant in a wet area; needs to be dryish in winter.

To look its best, cut it back to about 6" each spring. It will have a gorgeous shape and lots of flowers on all that new growth.

For varieties, check out High Country Gardens. The one I have is 'Royal Velvet' from HCG.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
ID needed
These plants are growing wild in the alley behind my...
dellis326 (Danny)
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
what is this??
This growing in my flower bed. I think it may be some...
snowburd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™