Wildflower Identification

btgirlApril 12, 2008

I found several of these growing in my shade garden this spring. I don't know whether to leave them as wildflowers or pull them up because they are weeds. Can anyone tell me what they are? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianut

I am definitely not a plant expert, I am barely a novice, so this is just a guess. It looks kind of like poison hemlock Conium maculatum to me. The photos of on the USDA plant database have darker foliage though. I am pretty sure that it is in the Apiaceae family but I am not familiar enough with the family to figure it out even to genus. Perhaps if you could get some closeup pictures of some of the parts I could find out more. I would get a closer shot of the stem, the flowers and the foliage. I am not certain what characteristics are diagnostic, but I think that I could at least get it to genus with that information. I'll bet somebody else on this site will be able to tell you just from seeing this photo though.

Brian

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 10:54PM
maifleur01

I have had an increasing amount of the plant. However most of the information of poison hemlock is that it has a parsnip scent(mild carrot) but mine only have a very slight green smell.

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 12:57AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

If the stems are purple is poison hemlock. If not, it would very well be wild parsnip.

Susan

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 10:57AM
kalmia10(z7 WA)

While the carrot family is a large one, I would guess this might be wild chervil. Stems on hemlock are purple blotched and also hairless and smooth. These look ridged and might even be slightly hairy/fuzzy? Check out the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: wild chervil

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 1:47PM
maifleur01

Since mine get three to four feet tall that leaves out the chervil and the hemlock since they have prickly stems.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 7:27PM
wooderlander

This is my first time posting on this forum, hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist when I saw the photo.

It looks like what we in Central Texas call "beggar lice," don't know the scientific name. You could call it a wildflower because of its lacy foliage and little white flowers, but it's also an annoying weed that produces copious amounts of slightly barbed seeds, which hitch a ride by clinging to your clothing, to your dog's fur, or anything else it can stick to, thereby broadcasting and reproducing itself to the point that it's almost impossible to control.

Every day I hand-pull as many of these as I can and barely make a dent. We spend the summer picking the seeds out of the dogs' ears and off the rugs. They even get in the laundry and stick to the towels. Can you tell I hate these things? But some people like them because they are pretty.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 1:04AM
happyseed(7)

Does it grow in a moist area and multiply rapidly? It looks exactly like my pond and bog plant called "water celery". It reproduces like mad. It may not help but I just had to share. Sonja

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 12:54PM
philmont_709n2(z6 Ohio)

try Torilis arvensis

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™