What is this?

wagswookAugust 2, 2005

okay I have found some really strange stuff in my yard. It appears only in my hardwood mulch and looks like the expandable spray foam that you purchase to fill in gaps.. It can be 8-10 inches in diameter and can be gone in two to three days. Then another one will pop up somewhere else in a couple of days, but always in the mulch?

Any ideas?

PS. If I could find a way to post a pic of it I would.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lauren_StL(z5/6 Mo)


It's probably a type of fungus. Does it look like dog vomit? Go over to perennials forum and search on dog vomit fungus--I'm not joking, honest :) They were just talking about it earlier today or yesterday, I can't remember which. It sounds like what your describing.


    Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Lauren,I think you hit the nail on the head. I've heard about the "dog vomit" fungus and read about it. It's very strange, but it sounds like that's what you have, Wagswook.

Don't know what you're supposed to do about it, though. Do a search and see what you come up with. Good luck.


    Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 8:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janine Starykowicz

It's harmless, just gross looking. Scrape it off and toss it.

    Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 1:03AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
Flowering Orchid
I have a house plant that my mother had started and...
Detroit Area Gardeners?
Hi, This gardening season I'm going to be moving to...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™