Vendors for Garlic for fall 2013?

mnclerkDecember 13, 2012

So, as I'm sure some of you are aware, a lot of local garlic crops were wiped out by the aster yellows disease. I've been trying to grow some garlic myself, and I wasn't aware of this issue, but now that I am, I have questions for anyone who might know the answers:

1. I purchased some garlic this fall (fall 2012) from WeGrowGarlic. They haven't said anything about aster yellows but I know that some areas of Wisconsin have been affected by it. I've also heard rumors that they will not be in business this coming year. Does anyone have any details about that - and about whether the garlic I got from them is likely to be infected?

2. Anyone have recommendations for a non-Midwest company to order different varieties of garlic from? Preferably one that certifies their product as disease-free?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

years back when I use to grew a lot of garlic, I got my hardneck cultivars from Territorial Seed and Roningers (sp?) Potatoes, now called Irish Eyes.

Is aster yellows just a midwest disease?
I wasn't aware...

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 10:11PM
mnclerk

No, I don't believe it is, but I do know that the major issue was the fact that we had such a warm winter last year, so the garlic grew earlier and the leafhoppers ate and infected it. According to what I have read, usually garlic sprouts and grows in our climate too late in the season to be at risk.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 9:26AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

From what I can tell the infected garlic has a very off smell. For my planting this year I planted it if it looked and smelled normal. However I would not bet my house on not having the disease this year. It seemed as if a couple of my varieties of softnecks had a resistance to it. I hope the garlic you bought is ok and I bet it is if it smelled right.

I hope We Grow Garlic and the rest of the Midwest garlic growers can spring back.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 3:02PM
ighchickens

I bought 3 varieties from this place a few years back and have had great success:
http://www.alphagarlicfarm.com/

It is located in zone 4 like here in MN.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpha Garlic Farms

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:10PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

An excellent garlic seed source I know of is in Oregon with no aster yellow contamination. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist garlic source

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:04AM
garystpaul(4)

Jeff Adelman at the St. Paul Farmers Market usually has a variety of garlic sets for sale in late summer/fall.

Gary

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™