Plants that didn't get planted

byegonebooksOctober 8, 2006

I have several perrenials and a peony tree that didn't get planted since the bed was never finished.

What is better--sticking the entire pot into the ground for the winter or taking it out of the pot and planting it and digging it up in the spring? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phyl345(z.5)

oh, good question...i have asked this question on another forum, and i got conflicting advice....so i DID plant everything IN THEIR POTS...what say you midwesterners????thanks, phyl

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 1:35PM
santacltr2(z5 Il)

I would say plant it in the ground now and dig up in the spring. It will get a better root system in the ground.

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 6:56PM
kec01

out of pot, into ground, and move next spring. That's what I've done.

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 2:41PM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

I have always planted my late purchases into the ground. However, I lost fully half of them by the following spring.
I never took any special care with mulches and such, so that might help to keep them alive. Do know that watering is esential. Up until the ground freezes, keep these newbys watered.

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 3:02PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

It really is up to you- but I have found that most potted plants are pretty stressed by this time of year- I have found a greater sucess rate at burying pots- and planting out in spring. Lets them rest a bit- instead of working hard to establish themselves before winter really hits.
Either way watering is important- although I do tend to stop watering when I put the hose away well before the ground freezes-

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 3:51PM
phyl345(z.5)

thanks for the reminder....i almost FORGOT i had planted(IN THEIR POTS) several shrubs and i HAVEN'T been watering them....actually, tho, it's been raining so much that it probably didn't matter!!!! i WISH we would have a couple DRY weeks...i still have alot of work left to do in the yard!

phyl

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 2:46AM
led_zep_rules(5 WI)

One reason to plant in the ground is that you might forget in the spring to move them, or some other circumstance could intervene. That way they are already planted and would have better luck than in their darn pots. :-) I would go with a nice mulch of leaves around them, too.

Marcia

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 1:55AM
homerunriot

No pots, although JULIE__MN has a valid point about the stress of them settling in so late in the year. Just don't make the same mistake I made last year. I planted a bunch of salvia just before the first frost WITHOUT LABELING their locations! GREAT BIG HUGE MISTAKE, by Spring I had holes all over the backyard and unfortunately, I damaged some of the roots and had to get rid of many. For the most part, those that were recovered were transplanted and grew with great success. Just don't forget to label 'em. Good luck!

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
does Southern IL belong here
Please Help me find a forum!
organic_gardenhag
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
Sponsored Products
2-Pc. Cubic Planter
$11.99 | Dot & Bo
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs MandarIn
Home Depot
Moooi | Heracleum II Small Pendant Light
YLighting
Six-shelf Metal Cookware Stand
Overstock.com
Butterfly Cast Iron Hanging Plant Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware