perennial herbs

RexAnne(z5 Chicago)October 4, 2006

Hi,

I'm looking to plant perennial herbs for cooking/medicinal that will over winter here in zone 5. I have a an area I'd like to fill up.

I've got sage, chives, hyssop and french sorrel all started from seed and established for two years now.

what should I add to my list?

perennial herbs-

lavender?

thyme?

rosemary?

(parsely bolts so I'll keep it as anannual)

please help me build a list....

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

Greek oregano, garlic chives, lemon thyme and any others you can get your hands on, the lavenders, burnet (tastes like cucumber), marjoram, lemon balm, mint, winter savory, tarragon. Rosemary's tough in some locations.

The lemon balm and mints can be invasive. Don't buy tarragon seeds - inferior result...you want to get a French tarragon plant.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Maureen

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 5:07PM
Bob_Zn5(Z5 WI)

I had some luck with Rosemary in a perfectly draining location. SE WI must really be pushing it for hardiness.

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 11:52PM
led_zep_rules(5 WI)

Wow, I grow rosemary in a pot, and bring it in during the winter. Had no idea it might be safe outside?!? But I think if it were outside, I wouldn't pick it very much in the winter. I know it likes sandy soil, which is the opposite of what I have, so I have it is a big clay pot with lots of sand mixed into the soil.

Oregano is the only one I was going to suggest, mine is still growing fine despite numerous frosts for the past month and a half! I picked some today to put in the stuffing. Parsley and cilantro seed themselves so well that I almost count them as permanent in my herb area.

Marcia

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
looking for strong fragrance in garden
I am in Chicago zone 5 and am looking to plant something...
both
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™