Red twigged dogwood or native alternative?

gfult(6)May 3, 2008

I need to find a shrub that is small to medium, can tolerate some shade and provides good winter interest. I removed an invasive japanese barberry from this spot and I loved the arching form.

I really love the red twigged dogwood but are they safe for the environment and wildlife? I can't seem to find the full story on them. Can someone give feedback on this or some alternative.

A friend suggested choosing winterberry instead but I don't think i have room for two (for berries). How close does the companion have to be?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

If you get Cornus sericea, also called red twigged dogwood, that is a native plant. I'm not sure what other plant you were thinking of.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 10:48AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

The usual red-twigged or red osier dogwood that I see planted for landscaping seems to be the native Cornus sericea or the very similar native plant called Cornus stolonifera which also can be planted as red-twigged dogwood. There is one non-native plant, Cornus alba, that you might find being sold as Red twigged Dogwood or Red Osier Dogwood.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 8:28AM
bob64(6)

Yup. You need to check the botanical names to be sure. I believe that there are dwarf forms of the natives that are commercially available although from where escapes me at the moment.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™