Red twigged dogwood or native alternative?

gfult(6)May 3, 2008

I need to find a shrub that is small to medium, can tolerate some shade and provides good winter interest. I removed an invasive japanese barberry from this spot and I loved the arching form.

I really love the red twigged dogwood but are they safe for the environment and wildlife? I can't seem to find the full story on them. Can someone give feedback on this or some alternative.

A friend suggested choosing winterberry instead but I don't think i have room for two (for berries). How close does the companion have to be?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

If you get Cornus sericea, also called red twigged dogwood, that is a native plant. I'm not sure what other plant you were thinking of.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 10:48AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

The usual red-twigged or red osier dogwood that I see planted for landscaping seems to be the native Cornus sericea or the very similar native plant called Cornus stolonifera which also can be planted as red-twigged dogwood. There is one non-native plant, Cornus alba, that you might find being sold as Red twigged Dogwood or Red Osier Dogwood.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 8:28AM
bob64(6)

Yup. You need to check the botanical names to be sure. I believe that there are dwarf forms of the natives that are commercially available although from where escapes me at the moment.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Callery Pear Forests
Today I had a shock. We were driving through the way...
texasranger2
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™