Joe Pye Weed

anniemaeMay 18, 2007

Wildflowers are my delight! However, I don't have Joe Pye Weed in my garden. I would like to hear from someone who would share it with me. I have lots of things I could swap, but don't have my list posted yet as I just joined this morning.

Hoping to hear from y'all soon,

Annette in Monroe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Well, I would share, though you may want to wait and see if someone else can provide you with a more local ecotype. Not sure you want plants from Illinois growing in Louisiana?

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

One way to get Joe Pye Weed is to take a small division from a wild clump. When the Joe Pye starts blooming locate a nice-looking wild clump. Typically the clump, upon close inspection, will have a number of large, blooming stems and many smaller shoots along the edges. You should be able to remove a smaller shoot with some roots and start a new plant. You take a shovel, make a vertical cut or two between your stem and the rest of the clump, and remove a section of soil and root containing your stem. Plant this, take care of it for the rest of summer (water regularly) and you should have a new plant. If you fill in the hole you made with soil, the original plant will quickly fill in the gap and be no worse for the experience (as long as you are careful). Instead of introducing a joe Pye Weed from another part of the continent into your local Joe Pye Weed gene pool, why not stick with a locally native plant suited to your area's climate and soils?

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™