What Would You Do With These?

hostanistaJuly 31, 2014

Look at them all! Must be 40 babies in that pile. Pen to show scale. Closest hosta is a fortunei aureomarginata, see inset. Amazing how well they do when you just leave them alone. And now, do I just let them be - will they smother themselves and die - or do I gently pull them apart and plant them out with proper spacing?

What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

Since you asked...... Well, I know of a good place - here! Lol. Look at those cuties, Mama!
I think they would grow better separated. With that many, I would likely plant in groups of three...cute little clumps immediately instead of a two-leafer. I know of a greenhouse where they would individually plant them and turn them into $$$.

Lucky you - they are really sweet! Some people might only keep the bigger ones, but you can always gift some if you don't want them all. Then again, you have space to grow them all, don't you? :-)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:07AM
almosthooked

This must be the year of the seedlings! I have loads under at least 10 different plant and was wondering too if I should just leave them until they get more then 2 leaves or until fall or next summer. I moved 14 from last year to another area but they are much larger so they were easy to move. We need the pro's advice on this one. Now when they get big do we start a green bed for babies.

Glad my female daschund never had any puppies or I would have had a kennel of dogs and no room in our bed for us. I guess this is what they call a hoarding nature .

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:18AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would not move them in august ...

and then its too late ... in sept ...

the problem is.. they will heave out of the ground come late winter thaw ... there will be no root mass to hold them in the soil ...

see what comes back next spring... and line them out then ... i dont know if i would do it in the garden ... or rather some nursery bed ....

i might pot a couple up ... just for the experiment ...

and i would pound an 8 foot stake in the ground.. lol.. so i wouldnt walk on them ... 8 feet just about big enough.. lol

ken

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:48AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Leave 'em till next year and let survival of the fittest take over....if they all survive do you want 100 green seedlings? Culling gets harder the longer you keep them.

Here's a 2011 pic of seedlings started indoors (2nd year).....done nothing with them since.

Paul

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™