Need some helpful advice here.

barb_roselover_inOctober 27, 2005

I looked to see if there was a specific forum for mums, but could find none--unless I overlooked it. Anyway, my DH purchased a beautiful lavendar mum which was gigantic size. I kept it in the pot. It now has no blooms. I read somewhere that so many of them don't survive--even with protection, because they don't have time to develop a good root system. Does anyone have any information of how I could save this plant? I have an unheated greenhouse and a somewhat heated garage (around 50 degrees). Can I get some help here? Thanks so much in advance. - Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LauraIL26(Z5 Central IL)

Some of the mums are strictly florist mums (meant to stay indoors and are not cold hardy) and some of the mums are meant for outdoor growing. You are in about the same zone as I am, and I still will be planting mums this fall. Just water them in the ground well and protect them with dry leaves and make sure next year when they start to grow that you keep pinching them until the fourth of July so they will not get leggy and will produce many blooms. Hope this helps.

Laura

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
What killed my trees?
My young cherry tree suddenly died a few days ago....
fsheik1
looking for strong fragrance in garden
I am in Chicago zone 5 and am looking to plant something...
both
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™