Can I apply Confidor to the soil directly?

nihalFebruary 26, 2009

Hello,

does anybody have any idea if I can use Confidor 200SL directly to the soil? My garden is quite large and mostly tall, and it is impossible for me to reach the top of all the plants, not to mention all the leaves. Since Confidor is Systemic, I was wondering if my pouring (or spraying?) the Confidor into the soil I might obtain the same protective effect without burning the roots??

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Read labels before purchase, use, and storage of any pesticide. I have never use Condifor but systemic pesticides are usually dissolved in water before application. Condifor will have negative effects on pollinators such as bees so be for warned.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 7:11PM
nihal

Thanks. I read the labels and of course i would dilute the Confidor (2,5ml/5liters of water). But the label doesn't say if the diluted product can be used directly on the soil and/or if it is best sprayed or poured.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 3:34AM
gardengal48

Yes, its systemic actions are actually increased if applied as a soil drench rather than a foliar application (absorption and transmission is greater through the root system than through the leaves, as with fertilizers). Dilute to the appropriate concentration before application.

Imidacloprid is a very broad spectrum insecticide. I'd be concerned about disrupting the balance of natural predators by such a widespread application. What is it you are trying to control through its use?

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 10:23AM
nihal

Thanks very much Gardengal48. Last year I had a HUGE infestation of white flies which I caught too late; this year they have started up again along with the appearance of scales (I live on the Meditterranean, so it gets warm early) ; I will use Confidor to kill the current white flies and (hopefully) avoid any more. According to what I have read and been told, Confidor only needs to be used once a season, and the earlier it is used, the more effective. I realize that it is not ideal, but our resources are limited here and i am hoping that by only using it in a limited manner it will be effective but not too damaging to the natural balance.
Thanks again,

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 11:02AM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Confidor has a soil life of about two weeks. As the plants grow, you will have to apply more if the infestation reappears, so be ever observant.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Sponsored Products
Kraus KHU100-32-KPF2170-SD20 Single Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink with Faucet Mu
$599.95 | Hayneedle
MaxLite LSV4806SU50DV50 4 Foot LED Vapor Tight Fixture, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Lithonia Lighting 3 in. GU10 Bronze Gimbal Recessed Kit LK3GORB
$13.97 | Home Depot
Thomas Eyck | t.e. 025 Plaid Blanket - Large
YLiving.com
Sonneman | Handkerchief Small Semi-Flush Ceiling Light
$220.00 | YLighting
Cameo Black and Chrome Three-Light Convertible Pendant
$398.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™