Sskunk Cabbage oddity

Dzitmoidonc(6)May 25, 2013

I have one Skunk Cabbage (out of 1000s) that is variegated. It has had the same pattern of variegation since I discovered the plant sometime before 1998. I would like to transplant it closer to the house, but at the risk of killing it, it stays where it is. It is a wild plant growing in a wetland.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Drop. This was a practice to post pics and one friend wants to see the plant.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 10:01AM
wisconsitom

Cool plant, Dz. And if able to be propagated, one which might raise considerable curiosity in the gardening world, I'd think.

+oM

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 10:09AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Tom, I sent a pic about 5 years ago to Terra Nova Nursery in OR. I was told they specialize in variegated plants, but I never received a response. Probably just as well. I read about a lady in NE PA who has one in a pot. She sent it away to Plants Delight in NC and they were not successful in multiplying it so they sent it back to her. I have been waiting for bloom from this one, but so far, nada. I mow a path to it so wife and I can ogle it when we walk down to the bottom field in the evening.

Another naturally growing plant variant here, is a completely spineless Multiflora rose. This one makes seeds and judging from the number of spineless Multiflora seedlings I pull, it comes true from seed.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 9:52AM
plantbug

What a beautiful plant.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:30PM
wisconsitom

Terra Nova was a good idea, even though nothing has transpired thusfar. They definitely are a company that brings "new" genetics out into the gardening world with regularity.

I guess the whole thing would be if this trait is heritable, or if strictly vegetative and/or tissue culture would have to be employed.

+oM

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 2:31PM
timhensley_gw

Stunning plant. Have you contacted Cady's Falls Nursery? Those guys are serious plant propagators/collectors with decades of experience. They might be helpful in advising you on how to best propagate the plant. Good luck. I certainly hope you're successful!!

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
A couple beautiful natives
Any idea of what these are? I think the star is a...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™