New to gardening and I'm not sure where to start...

RHONDAVAS77(9a)February 12, 2012

Hello everyone my name is Rhonda and i'm from Houston Tx. I just took a interest in flower gardening to try to beautify my yard also as well as a way to relieve stress from everyday life and relax. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew what types of flowers do well in this "Houston" weather? Also I've already planted some flower's (gerbera daises, begonias,shasta daisies,and a few more that i can't remember their names!) in my little flower bed's out front, and before I knew it I notices the petals and leaves from my gerbera daisys were being slowly eaten away...also I noticed small little nat-looking insects flying around the flower bed...I'm not sure if they were the culprit but I didn't find anything else. I asked several of neighbors about what I should use to deter the varmints and they all told me different things...one said sevin dust, one told me to plant marigolds, and the other told me if I put cedar mulch down it would help with pest control. So my question is what is the best way to control pests without damaging the plants or the environment? I would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me since I basically know nothing about my "new found interest"!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ckap(9a Sugar Land,Texas)

Welcome to Gardenweb.I am in Sugar Land,close to Houston.Check out Texas gardening forum,you will get a lot of tips and information as what to plant and solutions to many problems that everyone in the area is having.Goog luck

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™