it's a good thing!

piegirl(z5NELin)October 8, 2004

Ladybugs are all over my garden today. During some clean-up I saw quite a few and then looked at my house - they were on the gutters, the bricks, flying in the air - everywhere. I look at them as bringing good fortune and luck - and I could sure use some of both. I know some will winter over which is why I don't leave the earth bare. Hopefully not in the house. Are they a sign of an early long winter? Still no frost here, tomatoes continuing on and zukes and yellow crook neck doing just fine. Piegirl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed(5b IL)

they are actually not lady bugs they are asian beetles - they look like ladybugs but are more orange than red and they bite and they smell if you squish 'em - and they are a pain in the @ss!
they were imported into this country to control some agricultural pest and are overtaking as they have no natural predators here ... zillions and zillions

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 4:54PM
mscratch(z6 S.E. Mo.)

Yes, they are a pain! We have armies of them traipsing across the ceilings each night..weather turned warm again and out they came from their little hibernation places. Husband got vaccum cleaner and started sucking the little beggars up, right off the ceilings.

Bookmark   October 22, 2004 at 9:13AM
FlowersForMyFarm(WI z4)

We are surrounded by those evil nasty creatures. Some days it looks like it's snowing asian beetles here. Last year we bought a vacuum cleaner just for them because they ruin the vacuum and make it stink and we had to vacuum them twice a day to keep up. This year I decided to go to war with them. I read where they are repelled by camphor and to a lesser extent by menthol. So I took painter's tape and put a strip above the doors and upstairs windows and smeared the tape with Mentholatum ointment. (it has 9% camphor and 1.3% menthol) So far it's working great. We've only had a few of the little buggers in the house even though they're all over outside.

Bookmark   October 23, 2004 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™