columbus soil pH issues?

joeschmoe80(6 (Ohio))November 12, 2012

I recently had a soil test, and it's a lot less acid than I expected - readings of 6.8 to 6.9 (various areas of yard) - have any of you in the Central part of Ohio had issues with more acid-preferring plants like conifers etc?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I lived there for decades, Dublin/Worthington/Powell area. What part of town are you in?

The conventional wisdom in my garden crowd up there was just not to plant azaleas or whatever it is that needs acid soil. At almost exactly neutral, you have plenty of options. What do you see thriving in the area that you like? It's so much easier to work with Ma nature has to offer than to put up a fight. OSU has a ton of landscaping articles.

Not advice, but maybe a chuckle... I never was much into evergreens but I did buy the cutest little "pine tree" once. I got it with the idea of planting at the back fence, to block the view between my back door and the neighbors behind us. After about a year, it hadn't grown an INCH. So I got down on the ground and smudged the dirt off of the label to read it again. I finally noticed it said it should grow to 12-15" not 12-15'. This tiny tree you had to walk all the way to the back of the back yard to see was already full grown! Oops!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Conifers will do fine there. My soil has a pH of 7+ and I grow pines, spruces, firs, yews, hemlocks and more.

tj

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™