snowball

rosemg(5)February 16, 2010

I have a shrub in the carriage way called commonly a snowball tree but I cannot find any information on it under this name. Blooms in spring with big ball white flowers which last for a very short time. The branches are weak on this particular plant. Anyone know anything about this shrub?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Snowball bush or European snowball, prefers a moist location and adapts to most soils. The large spherical flowers open apple green and then turn white.

It is grown in part shade or full sun. Is your bush getting enough sun. If it is leggy then maybe not. It needs at least 6 hours of direct sun. Maybe that's why its stems are weak.

It could probably use a pruning too. Prune it in early summer, after its flowering has finished. Clip the ends of the branches to remove spent flowers and thin out older stems to rejuvenate the shrub and keep it looking tidy.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 11:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

"Snowball" bushes are species of Viburnums. However, several different species of Viburnums are known as snowballs - Chinese snowball (Viburnum macrocephalum), Japanese snowball (Viburnum plicatum), European snowball (Viburnum opulus 'Roseum') and fragrant snowball (Viburnum x carlecephalum). The one with the largest flowers is the Chinese but probably not hardy in your zone. I'd go with the European as well :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 12:51AM
More Discussions
Where to plant on side yard?
Hi there! I'm planning on building my first raised...
Robin Goodrich
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™