Newly planted chokeberry's leaves turning, dropping

butterflygal21797(z7 MD)May 31, 2008

Last weekend I purchased and planted a red chokeberry (aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima'). Two days ago, I noticed that almost half the leaves had turned a reddish yellow (from pictures I've seen, this would appear to be the fall coloration). The plant wasn't droopy or unhealthy looking. Today, many of those leaves have dropped, and more appear to have changed color. Has anyone else experienced this after planting this or another shrub, and should I be concerned?

I watered the shrub well when I planted it, and again several days later (after I noticed the change in coloration). It was not rootbound when I removed it from its pot for planting; the roots looked healthy and vigorous.

Could this be a normal reaction to the stress of having the roots disturbed during the planting process?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoyess(z5 ON Can)

I have had the same thing happen with one of three new Aronia Autumn Magic I purchased last week while still in the pot. I thought perhaps it was the cold snap we had earlier that caused the change (mine turned orange). Did you have a strong cold snap earlier while they were in pots?

Sharon

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 7:43PM
ncrescue

I just noticed that several of my small sourwoods, two to three feet tall, have developed drooping leaves. We have had so much rain recently that I thought maybe that was the reason, but my Aronias look OK. Is there a mildew/fungus thingie going on due to the weather?

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 8:07PM
butterflygal21797(z7 MD)

We've had a wet, unseasonably cool spring so far here in central Maryland, but right after I planted this shrub, we had several days of hot, dry weather, so maybe that has something to do with it. The funny thing is that the leaves on the plant aren't droopy at all, ncrescue. They seem healthy, they're just changing color and dropping off. Plant definitely seems to think it's fall. I read somewhere on the web that transplant shock could cause leaf drop, so I'm hoping that's what this is, but since this happened to yours, Sharon, while they were still in the pot, it's hard to say what's going on.

Thanks for the replies. Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 6:24AM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Or, when you planted it you got air pockets that kept the roots from getting waterred. It may make sense to get more water on them. I don't believe you can over water this genus so douse them good.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 12:20AM
Canaanski2012

The same thing has happened to my 3 red chokeberries. The leaf color change (yellowish-orange) started before I had a chance to get the plants in the ground, so I was attributing it to stress. I too live in Maryland. At this point I will leave them planted and see what the summer brings. Soil was amended; good drainage; twice weekly watering; a little fertilizer.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
Sponsored Products
Artemide | Tolomeo LED Wall Spot Light
$440.00 | YLighting
Tom Dixon | Mini Ball Pendant
YLiving.com
Serena & Lily Peridot Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Modway Siesta Canopy Daybed in Espresso Turquoise
Beyond Stores
Lighthouse Oil Lamps - Black - Menu A/S
$89.95 | HORNE