Coral or Goldflame honeysuckle

hummersteveMay 8, 2007

I have been searching all the garden centers and nurseries and online centers for either of these plants. I would like an opinion. I found both online for about $10 but it cost $12 shipping 16% of the order but you have order at least $25 worth at this one place, these are in quart pots. Now I found the goldflame at a local nursery in a 2gal pot for $40. Is this any where near a fair price for this plant? Which is the best way to go?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I think a 2 gallon honeysuckle for $40 is way overpriced. I'd expect more like $20. Maybe if the plant was Coral Honeysuckle - lonicera sempervirens - and was a really nice robust plant $40 would be worth it, since I find Coral Honeysuckle starts out kind of slowly. Goldflame seems to be a faster grower when young. Perhaps you can find one or both of these plants in a friend's garden and take cuttings. A quart-sized plant is probably a year old, so cuttings would be a year behind the purchased plants, but they'd be free.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 10:30PM
glenn_sun(5, iowa)

I have a Goldflame that is 3 years old now, paid about $28 for a half gallon sized plant. Last year it was pretty good, it looks to be magnificent this year-good luck but have patience-i think the free cuttings are the best deal, but if i knew the plant would turn like it seems to be, i might have paid more than i did.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 11:23PM
westhighlandblue(z6 PA)

Whether or not $40 is too high for a 2 gallon plant is a direct function of how badly you want that plant. Still I paid $35 each for 2 gallon mountain laurel, at a private nursery, a couple of weeks ago, which suggests $40 for another native of the same size is a bit above market.

I can tell you that a couple of years ago my local Sears Hardware had Coral Honeysuckle - lonicera sempervirens -- and at a very good price -- I want to say around $25 for 2-3 gallon size. I planted them late in October, and the darlings have completely hidden the hideous 1950's style railing that leads to my 100 year old stone house.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 8:18AM
carol23_gw

I recommend Brushwood Nursery for a great selection of healthy plants with free shipping on 2 or more plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™