Mugo Pine Transplanting

fishbreatheMarch 13, 2006

Has anyone transplanted a Mugo Pine with success? This Pine is approximately 3 ft tall by 3 ft wide and has outgrown his space.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Mugo is probably the easiest pine to transplant - next to jack pine. It doesn't grow a tap root and should have fibrous rootage near the trunk. How you treat it kind of depends on how long it's been sited where it is. If it's more than 3 or 4 years, you might want to do it in two stages by root-pruning this fall & lifting it next spring. If you want directions on how to do that, I can help - let me know.

If you're to lift it (you didn't say where you live) this year, do it as most of the trees and shrubs in your area have already started to leaf out. Use a sharp spade to sever roots and get as large a root-ball as you can manage. Try to keep soil around roots as stable as you can. Move it onto a tarp & drag it to your already prepared hole where you will plant it slightly higher than previously (never shallower & allow for some settling of soil). Backfill with the same soil you removed from the hole & water in well. This plant grows best in a well drained and spare soil.

Al

Bookmark   March 15, 2006 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
succulent plant needs help! yellow leaves and bending
Hi i was hoping someone could help me figure out what...
bcactus123
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™