Best plants for a church sale.

ronwagnDecember 31, 2007

I want to start an annual plant sale at our church and church school. I am looking for the best plant ideas. My favorite is Jade Plants. I need vigorous growers that are hard to kill, and require little care.

I would appreciate any ideas on the most saleable plants, and how to get them sold. Price points, etc. Also mabybe a bulk shipment of potting mix.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lupineloon

Hi, I lived in MN and we used to have a Garden Club sale every summer. As I recall, we had it in June and everybody brought in excess plants (donation). We had an auction and it turned out to be a lot of fun and very popular. If you belong to a very large church, an auction probably would be difficult. You can lay them on tables or on the ground, for that matter. We also ordered starter, standard container plants from a wholesaler to sell at set prices. Since most plants were donated, this was a good fund raiser and we then provided and planted for local nursing homes, etc with some of our profits. A suggestion is to keep your plants priced cheap so the word spreads. All perennials sell well and you are only limited by your imagination. We sold everything from bunching onions, iris, daylilies, rhubarb, lupines - you name it. Since we sold bareroot, it was easy for people to dig and bring. Buyers did not have to shuffle pots.

Bookmark   January 1, 2008 at 7:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marychristine

My sister has wonderful luck selling African Violets at her church sale. She has a grow light and starts the plants from leaf cuttings. I used to think they were very hard to grow but once I tried it realized they weren't. She puts two to five dollars depending on size.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
looking for strong fragrance in garden
I am in Chicago zone 5 and am looking to plant something...
both
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
Garden Soil Naperville area
Looking for a bulk supplier of "Garden Soil",...
prariegardner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™