gardening websites

Lynn NevinsMarch 22, 2006

does anybody know of other similar websites that are as populated and comprehensive as this one? (I for one am sick to death of all the popups/ads on this site.)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

You could always install a pop up blocking program...I see no ads at all.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 7:00PM
Lynn Nevins

I have spybot. shouldn't that do the trick already? also, it's a matter of principle. I have never been on any other site that constantly burrages CONTRIBUTING members like myself with ads. This is the only site I have problems with. This is why I'd just as soon patronize another site. Tx.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 10:09PM
philomena(z 5A NY)

strange - I'm a contributor as well, and I've never even seen a pop-up on this site - and I don't even recall seeing any notices from my pop-up blocker about what it has stopped. I use Firefox as my browser, which has an automatic blocker - and a spybot won't block pop-ups, as far as I know, but I'm no expert in that area. But, DavesGarden is also a good garden forum site, but you'll have to pay there also, to gain access to all it's forums.

philomena

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 11:34PM
Lynn Nevins

Thanks. I do know that others on the site have had problems with popups here, as I've seen animated discussion of it on other forums here. Perhaps for whatever reason some of our blockers weren't functioning, but regardless, this site has popups the likes of which I have not encountered anywhere else.

I too use FF as my browser. However, at someone else's suggestion, I just installed a Google toolbar, and suddenly, I don't seem to be seeing popups here anymore! Let's hope it stays that way! :--)

Thanks for the tip on Dave's...

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 11:43PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Interesting! I pay, and see no pop-ups, traveling or other ads. There were a few days after iVillage took over, when all the ads descended, but that did stop. I don't know that which browser has any effect (I'm using IE, which is not noted for any ad-blocking ability).

Yippeee -- complain! The lack of ads is supposed to be a benefit of contributing.

As for other sites, I lurk among several, and prefer Taunton's Over the Fence, but I think that's just a matter of personal preference.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 7:38AM
Lynn Nevins

btw, I have complained, to no avail. I know that lots of folks that used the Birds forum here (like myself) have already jumped ship to another birding website. oh well. tx.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Front of house needs advice to make front look more appealing
Please help with some ideas for planting perennials...
Carol Ann
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Sponsored Products
Garden Elegance Botanical Arrangement
$759.00 | FRONTGATE
Arbor Wooden Arch Trellis
Overstock.com
Garden shades placemats set of four (one set left)
Origin Crafts
Kartell | La Boheme Stools
$250.00 | YLighting
Oak Leaf Hanging Birdbath
Signature Hardware
422 4" Trim by WAC Lighting
$18.00 | Lumens
Hampton Bay Lightbulbs 12-Volt Low Voltage 4-Watt Incandescent Wedge Bulbs
$3.99 | Home Depot
Shivering Bird Outdoor Sculpture
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™