Plant bulbs now?

Carrera(z5 Chi)December 16, 2004

I hope someone can help! I had a super busy fall and forgot/didn't have time to plant my bulbs. I have tulips, grape hyacinth and other various spring bulbs. We live in the Chicago suburbs, and though we've had our cold snaps, it hasn't been consistently cold yet and has only snowed once. Can I plant my bulbs now? I emailed Breck's asking this same question and they said "yes" but I want more than one opinion. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cantstopgardening(Zone 4/5 WI)

If you can get into the ground (not frozen,) you can plant them. The latest I've planted bulbs was December 5th, but you're a bit south of me, and it is a warm year. Plant away!!

Cantstop

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 6:50PM
Roberta_z5(Z4/5 IL)

I live in Lisle and as long as the ground isn't frozen solid and you can plant them, go ahead! They will be just fine. BTW, our unseasonably warm weather ends on Sunday, so get busy!

Bookmark   December 17, 2004 at 11:51AM
mrmorton(z5 IL)

Like the other folks said, as long as the ground is workable, you can plant bulbs.
My wife came home with a bag full a couple weekends ago. I just planted them this past Saturday. I had to break through a bit of frost in some areas, but not a big deal for the most part.

Bookmark   December 21, 2004 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
What killed my trees?
My young cherry tree suddenly died a few days ago....
fsheik1
Emergency transplanting advice
Dear fellow Midwesterners, I need your advice on the...
uchi_newbie
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™