Echinacea laevigata and Echinacea paradoxa

phantom_white(6)May 6, 2008

I bought both of these from Horizon Herbs earlier in the year. I was wondering how far apart I should plant them to keep from crossing the two. My understanding is that E. laevigata is increasingly hard to find and I'd like to keep any resulting seed pure so I can help preserve the flower.

Thanks!

Abby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I believe that Echinaceas are insect pollinated so unless you have miles separating them from each other and from neighbors gardens with Echinacea purpurea, I don't think you can do it without resorting to other methods, but then again I'm no expert on the topic.

According to Growing and Propagatig Wild Flowers by Harry R. Phillips, Echinacea purpurea, E. laevigata, and E. pallida can all be propagated by seed, root cuttings, and division. I would try cuttings or division for a 'pure' plant or you could try bagging flowers and pollinating them yourself to insure purity. I don't really know all the technique for the pollination thing but I'm sure you could ask Dr. Google for the answers. In fact, he was kind enough to give me the link below...

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic Concepts of Seed Production and Seed Regeneration

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™