Tossing weeds into the yard then mowing them over?

AgentStephMarch 18, 2012

Is this a bad idea? Will it cause even more weeds in the future? I've spent the weekend pulling weeds from the many, many mulched areas in the yard of my new house. Can I leave them in the yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I would not do that, if I were you. Weedy plants tend to have many propagation avenues. You might be disseminating seeds or turning stems and roots into cuttings, each capable of developing into a new plant. So one weed could turn into a hundred....by your own hand, yikes.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 1:07PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

What about starting a compost pile with them, give them the chance to give something back for your effort?

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 2:15PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you do go over the pile with the mower - use the catcher and wear eye protection just in case you've gathered a stone or two.

Find out, ASAP, about your local pest weeds and see what you might have inherited. As your new garden has clearly been cared for, you could be lucky. However, your local bird life will be bringing you seeds from plants you don't want to see in the yard - ivy, or barberry, or worse. So the sooner you can recognise a pest the less hassle you'll have overall.

Beware of anything that spreads by runners. Dry them, then burn is about the most foolproof way.
Quarantine anything you buy from a plant store or get given. Either grow it for a while in an easy care part of your yard where you can quickly remove weeds or diseased plants. Or put them into pots until you've cleared the nearly-inevitable weedlings.

If you're allowed to in your area - a small garden incinerator can be useful for disposing of rose prunings and nasty weeds. You can spread the ash around the roses. They appreciate the minerals.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
Pumpkin flower (hydroponic)
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™