Baby Spider Plant

binkalette(Minnesota)March 2, 2007

I have recently taken a baby from my spider plant and set it in some soil, while still connected to the mother plant. It is growing and seems to be well anchored to the soil, But I am wondering if I should cut it now, or if it will be better off if I leave it attached a while longer. Also, if I never cut it, will the mother plant eventually wean it anyway? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Truthfully? You could have snipped it from the mother plant before you put it in its own pot. ;-) They are pretty much a guaranteed success, I promise. The rooting process might even be slowed down by the attachment.

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 11:26AM
binkalette(Minnesota)

No, I've read up on them before. Your supposed to leave it attatched to the mother plant and start it in dirt because they will fair better and be more adaptable plants. I know you can snip them and put them in water, but they always start out as a sickly green..... :-S I just want to know if it will be better of if I leave it attatched longer...

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 12:36PM
dirtdivarocks(z6 SW PA)

rhizo 1 is correct. Cut it.

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 2:40PM
eleanor_rigby(z5 OH)

I have 20 spider babies in a Grow Lab in my classroom. Not only were they cut off the plant when they got in my way in the greenhouse, but they spent a couple of days in a plastice bag before my 8th graders planted them. All are doing fine. When the weather gets a little warmer, my students will take them home so we can start seeds for the school garden.

Eleanor

Bookmark   March 4, 2007 at 10:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

lol, I hope we've convinced you! They do NOT need to be attached to the mother plant in order to grow roots. I also would never start them in water, but stick them right into a good potting medium (in a small container).

The mother plant manufactures chemicals (hormones) that keep those babies small and unrooted when they are attached. You'll see a rapid growth response once you've planted the poor little things.

Bookmark   March 4, 2007 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Need advice on tackling front garden
Hello all, I just bought a house a few months ago,...
Arthaith Swan
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™