WANTED: Garden Visit/Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 5, 2007

steve_nj(7-a)March 11, 2007

The garden has done well over the winter with only minor leafburn, in spite of unusual weather patterns and 9 degrees for the low.

Garden includes woodies, broadleaved evergreens, perennials, variegates, colocasias, palms, etc. There should be flowers on azaleas, late Camellias, some bulbs, etc. Schedule: Arrive 10 AM (unload in driveway and park across road), Potluck at 12 noon, plant swap at 1 PM. Interest and time permitting, there will be a side trip to visit nearby plantings of palms, perennials, and woodies on public property. Please Email me for directions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardda

I will certainly try to make it and bring a few of those hummingbird plants I love to grow and hopefully a few other things. I'll pass the offer along to a few who aren't particularly internet savy.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 4:56PM
Loretta NJ Z6

It is the same day as Frelinghuysen's plant sale but I can try to get my hours on another day. I am interested and would like to bring a friend who is just getting into gardening. I will let her trade with my plants.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 9:23AM
marozeckinj(SJ/PA zone 7)

Thank you for the tour today in the rain and sleet. I will try to get out of the golf tournament early. Would love to see your "yard" in the Spring! Thanks so much for the cuttings!!

If you have not seen Steve's garden it is well worth the trip. It is more like an arboretum than some arboretums I have been too.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 7:10PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

I hope to make it - there's a state EMT exam around then that hasn't been scheduled yet, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Trying to think what I can bring that's not common as dirt - Sarcococca humilis - dwarf sweet box - smells like linden flowers.
Lonicera fragrantissima - very early blooming, kind of lemony scent.
Slate purple hellebore seedlings.
Humulus aureus, golden hops
Lamium Beedhams White - chartreuse leaved
Maybe some Louisiana irises - have to see how they're multiplying.
Rose Felicite Parmentier
Maybe some wintersweet, Chimonanthus praecox
Fanny's Aster, very late blooming, late Oct.-Nov.

Ward, I'd love some hummingbird plants - although if I can't make it to Steve's I'll probably see you at Palmyra on the 6th - that's still on?

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 4:12PM
wardda

Yes, that is still on and it hope to see you there, but this is about Steve's pot luck, anyone who hasn't been to his place doesn't know what they are missing - he and Melody have created a wonder.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 5:01PM
bmerboy98(z 6 NJ)

hi tell me more aboput this
thanks
B

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 10:51AM
Loretta NJ Z6

A few people wanted kerria flora plena last time I went (I had brought new guinnea). I can bring some starts.
Should I bring more helleborus foetidus?
Otherwise, with this cold weather, I am not sure what will be showing that is dividable. At this rate, the hosta will still be dormant.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 10:18AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Steve,
Do you have any expectation as to how many intend to come? I am wondering how much to try and pot up.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 4:14PM
Datdog(z7 NJ)

Steve & Melody- I'll be there and this time I'm going to bring wine with me as well as plants & food ;) Your garden is too lovely not to stroll though it without a glass of wine. Of course as large as your garden is I'll need to carry the bottle with me while walking. *kidding* sort of

Kristi

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 8:05PM
Loretta NJ Z6

You're not kidding...

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 6:06PM
steve_nj(7-a)

I can always use bamboo stems for stakes if anyone has a bamboo patch with dried material.
Loretta-Whatever you bring is fine. We'll have cheese and crackers to go with Kristi's wine!

Torreya taxifolia

Rhodea japonica-variegated

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 12:53AM
becca318(z6 NJ)

Sounds great, where is this plant swap?

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 3:17PM
becca318(z6 NJ)

Oh wait, I just looked at Steves page, Burlington County. It's a bit too far for me to travel, not to mention I'd surely get lost. I'm in Northern NJ, right near the NY state border.
Aw shucks...

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 3:30PM
weedwoman(z6 NJ)

I thought I was working but the job fell through, so I think I'll be there. Last year was delightful. Anybody want some Autumn crocuses? Or European Ginger? I don't have much else to trade right now. Could you send me directions again, Steve?

WW

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 11:55PM
njmastergardener(z6bNJ)

HI Steve and Melody, I'm sorry I missed you plant gathering this spring. It was a awesome place to visit and so much to learn from.
I'd love to stop by and visit soon to see what blooms in summer. I have oodles of heirloom tomato plants that need homes also.
Happy Gardening
Jeannie
new email njmastergardener@yahoo.com

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Hardy Jasmine, Football Mums, Ribbon Grass, Bee Balm
I have 1) Jasminum officinale "Hardy Jasmine"....
inguvap
WANTED: Plant Swap/Garden Visit/Potluck-Sun. October 4, 2009
GARDEN VISIT/PLANT SWAP/POTLUCK Date: Sunday October...
steve_nj
wanted: red gaillardia and/or red echinacea
Hi gardeners, I'm looking for Red, as in Fire Engine...
kchaconas
HAVE: Have - Reddish-Orange Cannas to trade
I Have Reddish-Orange Cannas to trade. Anybody interested? Let...
flowerfairy_grow
WANTED: perennial exchange 08088 Burlington Cnty
I have orange Tiger Lillies, purple and purple-maroon...
dave1322
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™