Mystery volunteers

Liz321(6 - Detroit Metro)May 2, 2013

I have a small Hosta bed that produced a surprise patch of trillium, now this year, it seems to have several more volunteers.
One is blooming and I have id'd it as Dutchman's Breeches. I am not sure what the two in this picture may by. The ferny leaves don't quite look the same as Dutchman leaves, but I'm not certain.

I can't find them in my searches on native databases, but I'm fairly certain they are native woodland dwellers in Michigan as I have seen them in the deep northern woods. The fact that they are showing up in my Metro Detroit area back yard is fun. I want to make sure to take care of them properly.

Any ideas? Also, I transplanted the Hostas from my mother's house and she was plant collector.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

The spotted laf is erythronium, or trout lily. The finely disected leaf looks like Dutchman's breeches (dicentra). The other one in the bottom right is a weed, henbit.

This post was edited by mosswitch on Thu, May 2, 13 at 18:39

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 6:37PM
Liz321(6 - Detroit Metro)

Thank you!! I knew it was something cool, but I haven't seen it in decades, so I couldn't remember. I was out weeding today and took a close look. It is EVERYWHERE in the bed. Now I will be watching everything that pops up to see if it is a native plant or endangered.

I cannot believe I have trout lily, trillium and Dutchman's breeches in my little back of the garage bed!! The henbit is already gone. :0)

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:32PM
mosswitch

The trout lily will probably be completely gone, dormant, in a few weeks. But it will come back next spring! Kind of remember where they are so you don't dig them up accidentally. They don't need any care but might they might need to mature for a year or so before they bloom. All those wildflowers will go dormant for the summer.

Sandy

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:10PM
Liz321(6 - Detroit Metro)

That is just fine since the Host will be taking over the bed soon! :) I will mark them for next year. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:17PM
esh_ga

You must have brought in some rich soil from elsewhere that had those things in it. I agree, good stuff!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™