WANTED: i want...i have to trade...

thebadseed(5B NJ)May 13, 2008

Does anyone have some honeysuckle (the native yellow kind) and/or trumpetvine they can give me some cuttings or rooted shoots of? Some butterfly bushes they don't want anymore? Any fragrant or dwarf fruiting plants they're no longer interested in?

I have:

baby blackberry plants (with roots, in pots) - the parent is thornless, but I'm not sure whether these will be

Extra nasturtium seedlings (jewel colors with true leaves, in peat pots for easy transfer)

Extra of one of two climbers I planted - I THINK they're convolvulous (blue, looks like a morning glory), but if not, they're sweetpeas (bluish-purple)

Extra monarda (beebalm) - grew it from seed last year, returned this year - plants are already quite big.

I have a huge monster of a jasmine plant that I could give you cuttings from.

I also have two extra bush-type watermelon seedlings, some dill and maybe a cilantro.

If you see something here you want and you have something OTHER than what I'm looking for, let me know. Maybe I'll get inspired ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damesdomaine

I live in South Jersey. I would like cannas and dahlias and any herbs.

I have Monantra Daisey cuttings.(VERY hardy plant). Autumn Clematis vines. I also have Broelaids...........indoor plants.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 9:46AM
Zophra(z6 NJ)

Do you really want the honeysuckle? None of the species are "native" and the one that I think you are refering to is the common one which is a horrible invasive species (rated up there with the kudu vine down south) which will easily take over your fence/yard and is hard to get rid of.
Sorry to be a spoil-sport; I teach about invasive plants in Environmental Science - this is always at the top of the list.
Zophra

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 4:51PM
thebadseed(5B NJ)

I took a cutting of some honeysuckle and rooted it in water, which was much faster than soil and rootone. It's sitting in a pot on the table now and hasn't taken off. I'm still deciding where to release it - I might just keep it potted.

Conversely, I planted some raspberries a few years ago so my daughter could pick berries the way I did growing up further west (in Jersey). We got quite a few last year, but I just cut that thing back yesterday and it was like some kind of alien monster with runners everywhere. It's under control for the moment, but I must have hacked off 3 lawn bags of new growth. Fortunately, it's mostly thornless.

Honeysuckle grows wild around here, but I've never seen it do any damage. I'm zone 5b/6 too, but I've never seen it do anything like the reports I've read re: strangling other plants etc here.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 6:34PM
agardenstateof_mind

Zophra, I'd really like to hear more, as it is my understanding (from several very credible sources) that lonicera sempervirens, unlike the invasive L. japonica, is native and non-aggressive, its nectar and berries attractive to butterflies and birds, respectively. I was pleased to acquire one last fall, which has overwintered in a pot sunk into my holding bed.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Offer: Clivia or Kaffir Lily, Greater Princeton Area
I have several Clivia or Kaffir Liby plants for exchange....
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
HAVE: Hydrangea Cuttings and Walkers Low Catmint
I have endless summer and limelight hydrangea cuttings...
BaskingRidgeGirl
WANTED: have: perennial plant swap, monmouth county, nj
Deep Cut Gardens Great Fall Perennial Plant Swap - Saturday,...
agardenstateof_mind
HAVE: Plant Swap in Monmouth County
Deep Cut Gardens Great Fall Perennial Plant Swap - Saturday,...
agardenstateof_mind
HAVE: Offer-unusual bamboos
I have Sasella masamuniana 'albostriata' & Chimnobambusa...
steve_nj
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Thorton 52 in. Gunmetal Ceiling Fan grey YG182-GM
Home Depot
Giulia Green and White 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Temple of the Spirit Vase - Smoke
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
LZF | Guijarros Wall Light
$530.00 | YLighting
Hand Knotted Geometric Super Kazak Wool Rug 5' X 7' Air Superiority Blue H3953
BH Sun Inc