Small River Birch?

momliz(7a VA)May 19, 2013

Does anyone know if there are dwarf River Birch cultivars available? I would love to have one for its wildlife value, but I don't have the room for a tree. Or are there shrub birches that would do well in my Virginia yard? z7a and probably heading towards z8.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

If you don't mind mail order, Rare Find Nursery in NJ has two smaller varieties. A good source for rhodies, azaleas, native and unusual plants, really know their stuff, and (need I say it?) one of my favorite nurseries. (No, I don't work there and don't own stock in the company ;-)

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 6:27PM
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

Be advised, the roots from those things go everywhere.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 9:50PM
agardenstateof_mind

They are shallow-rooted trees, and, as their name implies, they do like water, but mine is still playing nicely with its neighbors in the garden. A word to the wise, however, is never a bad idea.

I am currently taking a course on trees & shrubs for our region, and some to avoid. The instructor has cautioned us that the clump river birches are bound to become a problem years down the road, as they are meant to be single-trunk trees. The multiple trunks will compete with each other and eventually some will fail ... and fall. Well, where was he when I was picking out my beloved 'Heritage'? There is a huge, multi-trunk one about a mile from my home, so if my tree fails, I don't think it will be in my lifetime. Gorgeous bark.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 6:44PM
momliz(7a VA)

hmmm good to know about multiple trunks - logical when you think about it. I have found two small birches - Duraheat and Fox Valley. Now to decide between the two.

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™