WANTED: Forsythia cuttings!

Jane_the_Renovator(z6 NJ)May 19, 2005

Hello everybody,

I live in Jersey City, NJ, and I will be pruning our forsythia bushes this Saturday afternoon. Would you like some forsythia for your yard? If so, come on down, because I will have a lot of cuttings.

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

Hi Jane,
Maybe I will take you up on your offer next year (I am out of growing space this year), but thanks for the kind offer.

Are the plants so overgrown that you must prune them now ? I am asking since the best time to prune forsythia is late winter before they start to bud. At this time, you get maximum flowering, because they flower on "new" wood (similar to newer roses). As opposed to azalea, mophead hydrangeas, etc which should be pruned right after flowering (because the bloom on "old wood" and thus you will cut the blooms off if pruning too late in fall or in early spring before flowering). However, not so with forsythia. Forsythia bloom on "new wood" so pruning in late winter is actually recommended.

Of course, anytime you can get in the yard to revitalize an overgrown shrub, but just thought I would mention.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Offer: Clivia or Kaffir Lily, Greater Princeton Area
I have several Clivia or Kaffir Liby plants for exchange....
redsun9
HAVE: Free: Running Bamboo
I have several small clumps of running bamboo a previous...
Annie_nj
WANTED: Wood Chips
I need people of all shapes and sizes that need wood...
monmouth_arborist
HAVE: Perennial Plant Swap in Monmouth County 9/22
Deep Cut Gardens Great Fall Perennial Plant Swap - Saturday,...
agardenstateof_mind
WANTED: Plant Swap in Monmouth County 9/22
Deep Cut Gardens Great Fall Perennial Plant Swap - Saturday,...
agardenstateof_mind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™