Robins in Western MA...is this normal?

amysrq(5)January 4, 2009

Today, we were out for a walk and saw a flock of robins feeding in the scrub, maybe on berries growing in the trees, not sure. I used to see this when I lived in Florida, during the late winter. A huge swarm would arrive in my neighbor's holly tree, they'd make quite a ruckus and pick the thing clean. I have never seen them grouped like this, up in the trees and in great numbers, up north...usually just small groups hopping around, ground feeding in the Spring.

Does anyone know why they're here? Are they late leaving or early returning? Or just really confused? (I am!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amysrq(5)

Okay, I think I just answered my own question! I went to the Birdwatching Forum and sure enough, there was a questions about robins. I should search before I post...

Here is a link that might be useful: The answer is...

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 7:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Here in SE MA, I also have winter robins. At first there were only a couple checking out the big old winterberry. After a few weeks a flock of about 15 showed up and pretty much stripped the tree of berries, leaving just a few fruits.

On New Years Day a small flock appeared to scavenge leftover berries.

A couple of years ago I posted the same question when some robins arrived in winter.

I'll probably continue to see them sporadically until there are no more berries, or until the spring worms arrive.

Claire

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™