Multiflora rose question

stoloniferous(6)May 12, 2008

My wooded yard appears to have quite a few little multiflora roses springing up, and I would like to start ripping them out of the ground. But before I do that, are there any native plants that I could be mistaking for multiflora rose? I don't want to inadvertantly kill another plant in my zeal to get rid of natives. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amelanchier(NY)

On foliage & stems alone rosa multiflora and rosa virginiana are hard to tell apart, at least for me. I had a hard time ID'ing some r. multiflora nearby until I looked up pictures showing mature shrubs: r. multiflora shrubs are immense, arching, cane-y things.

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 7:00PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I don't think you'll be able to tell which rose you have until the plants get a little larger - perhaps 8 or 10 inches tall and you'll be able to start IDing the plants, at least tentatively. On the other hand, if you have a ton of multflora rose nearby and no native roses then I wouldn't hesitate to remove the seedlings now before they become a bigger problem. The odds of finding a native rose in the yard isn't great unless there are some growing somewhere nearby. I don't think a lot of other plants would look so much like multiflora rose that you couldn't tell them apart.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 8:33AM
stoloniferous(6)

Hmmmm. . . I have two large rose bushes of some sort, and quite a few seedlings. I guess I'll wait until I can positively identify the larger rose bushes. If they are multiflora, then I'll assume the small ones are as well.

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 1:45PM
sam_md

The stipules are a pair of sheathlike structures at the base of the leaf petiole. Only R. multiflora has serrated or fringed stipules.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 5:44PM
stoloniferous(6)

Thanks Sam! I'll look for that.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™