How to Remove a Neglected Garden

mamattorneyApril 5, 2014

I have a reasonably large (maybe 20ft 20ft) perennial garden in the back of my yard. Talking to neighbors, it seems that it has been neglected for years. It is now a mix of well established perennials, very well established weeds and small volunteer trees. I'd like to start over and make it smaller - filling in some of the area with grass.

How do I get rid of all these perennials, weeds and trees? The soil is clay and very compacted there, I honestly don't even know how the garden grows back every year.

I'll sheepishly admit that I'd like to do this in as quick and easy a way as possible. I'm not opposed to chemicals, even though I know you can't necessarily plant in the same spot until the next year. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

If you can identify and want to keep some of the perennials, then you can dig them up and put into cheap plastic pots for the moment. You can then spray the area with Roundup or generic equivalent, follow the directions. It will take a couple weeks to kill, I beleive.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 4:13PM
gardenper(8)

You said you wanted to do it quickly but I just think about all those precious perennials, which can also have a cost value attached to them if you end up having to redo. For example, since you don't have a specific list of perennials, it could be something as common as canna lily or something a little more precious like a long-lived peony.

Since you still want a garden there, just smaller, I think you can take this season to identify the plants and weeds coming up. For the weeds, take them out when you can.

For the small trees, take them out also if you don't want them to be bigger.

For the perennials, when you identify one you don't want, take it out. If it is something someone else might want, feel free to ask people if they do.

For the remaining perennials in the section that you don't want, see if other people want them.

For the perennials that you do end up wanting, but just need them relocated, then determine how you might arrange them in your smaller plot.

Another reason to wait is that as the plant comes up, you can actually pull it out, now that you know where it is.

If you still want to take them out without waiting this season, but still want to grow this season, then I think you can start digging and anything that is not dirt, put in a pile. You may have to dig as deep as 6-8" depending on the type of perennials you have.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 5:51PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Find your local garden club or cooperative extension. They will come and dig up your plants and put them to good use, saving some former gardener's precious plants. Then you can kill the rest and plant grass.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
Need advice on tackling front garden
Hello all, I just bought a house a few months ago,...
Arthaith Swan
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™