Cutting back a mature Yew in January?

sooey(7MA)January 19, 2012

Hi Kids,

What will happen if I cut back an over grown Yew in the middle of January? Will it be lost or will it grow back? I have cut back lots of them with good success, but never in the middle of January.

The Yew in question has become a safety hazard on our street, interfering with line of sight, etc.

Thanks, Kids.

Sooey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

It will be fine. Yews put out new growth from anywhere on a branch. They can take a hard pruning. It doesn't matter that it's cold outside.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 6:41AM
sooey(7MA)

Thank you, tree_oracle. I will set to work as soon as My husband returns with the truck.

Sue

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 9:33AM
terrene(5b MA)

Hi Sooey, I assume you mean Taxus cuspidata, Japanese Yew? Anyway, I've got 3 growing in a tree form - the 2 largest in particular have needed regular pruning. Last time I pruned them was a couple years ago after a snow storm in either January or February. This was because the branches were laden with snow, so they were weighed down and easier to reach and prune (that was interesting, and snowy, and I still had a hard time reaching the upper branches even with an 8 foot step ladder).

Anyway, I usually prune those in the winter, with no apparent ill effects. They are very hardy and rugged plants but grow very slowly.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 11:03AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Sooey, I have had the same experience. They should be fine. Almost impossible to kill. You'd have to chop them down to the largest limbs, and even then they will often sprout again. So a little pruning or trimming will be fine, especially if you're only removing parts that are in the way and leaving other parts more-or-less untouched.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 1:09PM
sooey(7MA)

Hi Kids,

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

I am almost sure that the yews in question are Japanese yews. They are very old, in fact they are transplants form our lot, having been planted first as our original foundation plantings back in 1976. They were moved to their current location in 1984. I was all set to cut them back on Friday but DPW asked me to hold off until after the snow season. It seems that the snow plow drivers use them as visual markers as they plow. I'm glad I called first.

Thanks, Kids.

sooey

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™