can any1 help me save my dying pothos plant???

nicolemb311(zone 5)May 4, 2006

Somethings wrong w/my pothos plant... I need some help!!! This was my first plant, So I dont want it to die, & dont know much about plants or nething, Its a HUGE plant. A while back, I think in February i got mealy Bugs, I dont have any other plants or nething so Im unsure where they came from. I went to a Plant store & got some chemical to kill them, i then sprayed it again in 10 days, & then wiped down the stems with qtips to get rid of the dead bugs. I know I did alot of things wrong, I had it in direct sunlight, now i know a big no-no!! for pothos! & i neglected it. A month or so went by & i sprayed it again with the chemical. I hadnt noticed any bugs for awhile. Im going in the air force & moved out of my apt. 4/29. & im giving the plant to my aunt to take care of while im gone (who has other plants) before i moved out of my apt. I noticed the BUGS ARE BACK!! i went back to the plant store, & the lady there said to spray it with chemical, then 2 days later take it out of the pot power-wash it w/a hose to get rid of the bugs & spray out the roots & then repot it. so i did all that & sprayed it again w/chemical & repotted it, It looked real good, i did all that saturday 4/29, now almost a week later 5/4 it looks so dead!! almost in a state of shock, & very britle. WHAT DO I DO NOW!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

First, calm down.

During your various gardening endeavors you WILL kill lots more plants. Unfortunately, that's a part of learning. :>)

The more you learn about why you killed, or even just damaged, a plant, the better gardener you will become.

Frankly, it sounds as if your pothos is way beyond help. So compost it, then go shopping!

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 2:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

Are you sure it had mealy bugs? I don't use pesticide sprays ! -- for mealies, just dab them with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. The chemicals you've used have probably contributed to the plant's demise.

You say it's a huge plant, so what I'd do is take some cuttings (about 6" long). Wash them in dish-soapy water that's a comfortable temperature for your hands (not too hot or too cold). Be certain that all the bugs are off of the cuttings, rinse, then put the cuttings in a glass of water. If there's enough life left in them, they will grow fine in water for a LONG time, and if the mother plant dies you'll have the new starts.

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Building House, Bermuda seeding question
Hi I am building a house in Tennessee and was planning...
luderiffic
Pumpkin flower (hydroponic)
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
Cleaned out gardens at new home and found some plants...Now what?
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to gardening in general....
Megan Williams
New home with huge garden space - what to plant?
We are moving into our new home this weekend. The...
Nicole Mott
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™